1969 Chrysler
Charger 151
Outboard
The Restoration


I've never owned a boat before this Charger let alone set out to restore one.
When I found this Boat in New Hampshire I knew I had to have it.
I dragged the Charger home on it original coil spring trailer 150 miles.
When one of the axle link bars cracked 20 miles from were I had
picked up the boat I laughed and said to myself if it was that important it
would not of cracked!. It was important but did not affect the ride back to CT.

I started by letting the Charger dry out. The Charger was stored out doors for
many years. A couple of weeks went by and the Charger was ready for the next stage
of the restoration. I took the entire interior apart not very hard two lounge seats and four pieces
of vynil covered wood. This is easy...

The floor turned out to be rotted in areas, so out came the plywood floor to expose the foam.
The foam was not water damaged. Only the plywood needed to be replaced. I decided the
next step was to separate the outboard form the boat. This was done very carefully
not to damage the transom of the boat. Mission accomplished all went well and of came the outboard.

The Chrysler outboard was inspected, tested and was found to be in great working order.

The decision was made to remove the outboards original paint and
have Kevin at Central CT Automotive apply a fresh coat of EW1 paint to
the motor and the cover.

Next it was time to remove the boat from its trailer. With Walt the
master blaster helping with the process within an hour the trailer
was relieved of its duty of supporting the Chargers hull.

The Trailer was taken apart and brought over to the Master Blaster to
have the many coats of paint removed.

Remember the axle link that broke on the way home from NH. The Queen of Green
Mechanic Bill S fabricate a new set of axle link bars for the trailer.

The fenders were brought over to Kevin at Central CT Auto first.
Kevin started the process of removing any unwanted
imperfections. Then the trailer was delivered so Kevin could works
his magic and apply a fresh coat of Sand Pebble Beige to the unique trailer.

Mission accomplished the trailer was painted and returned back
to the Garage-Mahal for its final assembly. All bolt on parts were Black Oxide
Coated and Cleared. Period correct lights were installed along with the
original wheels and Bias ply tires.

Next part of the Chargers restoration will be to install a new sub floor,
followed by new Vynal or Carpet floor covering. Then refinishing the Chargers
vynil panels, adding all the rechromed and period correct pieces
back to the hull and last but not least replacing the steering wheel
with a correct vintage piece.

Stay tuned for the next stage of the restoration.